Back in the 80′s there was a wonderful game called Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego created by a company called Brøderbund. Its purpose was to teach children geography in a fun way as they chased criminals around the world following geographical clues that were left behind. Because of this game, I learned that Cairo was the capital city of Egypt and other wonderful geographical facts I would never have discovered on my own.
Unfortunately, they didn’t revive the series to create an app for it but there are two apps with similar concepts I have since come across in my search for interesting apps to teach geography to children. The first is:
The concept of this app is based on programs like Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, Trivial Pursuit, The Amazing Race, Jeopardy, and Oregon Trail. The aim of the game is to track the criminals from country to country by solving geographical trivia and mini-puzzles.
- Over 1000 clues to 100+ cities
- Clues from categories such as language, country flag, currency, nearby geographical features, hobbies, and food
- Track down and catch 12 criminals and recover stolen items
- Three levels of difficulty: Normal, Difficult, and Expert
- Built-in Wikipedia and Google Maps access can help you research the clues and locations
- Three additional animated mini-games as part of your missions
- Unscramble a puzzle to secure a warrant by selecting a piece and then tapping its correct location
- Play Whack-A-Mole to help the police catch the crook
- Identify country flags as a quiz of your last travels
- Play with multiple users, game is automatically saved and can be re-opened
- Tracks statistics and high scores
- Keep playing to beat your scores and learn more geography
- Maximize your score by using strategy and look at fewer clues if you can
Price: $4.99 from the App Store.
The other app is:
Hot Pursuit is a mystery-puzzle game that sets you on a thrilling chase of crime solving action. Follow the trail of sinister thieves by travelling from country to country and climb up the Interpol ranks by solving the cases.
- Travel to over 42 countries
- Includes tons of geographical trivia
- Cool sound effects and music
- Save/Load your game anytime/anywhere
- Online score ranking!
- FREE lifetime updates!
Price: $1.99 from the App Store.