What is the McGuffey reading method?
The McGuffey readers graded reading books that were used to teach children to read dating back to the mid 19th century. They are sort of reminiscent of the Peter and Jane reader books but more old school and more text-book like. You can download the readers from Learn to Read to see what they are like.
About the App
It is a complete phonics and reading curriculum for beginners with over 52 hours of lessons. Beginning with the introduction of letter sounds to reading complete stories, the app is an adaptation of the McGuffey reading method brought to life with a rich interactive medium.
The app engages your child with letter recognition accompanied by animations. Each lesson is followed up with Phonics Flashcards. New words are introduced right after teaching the individual phonetic components. Your child then reads complete stories accompanied by beautiful original color illustrations of Robert Schoolcraft.
Games and Exercises, such as:
- Word Truckin’ – Load up your truck with the right letters, and she’s off!
- Train for Words – The train is coming up the mountain! But it need the right words to keep on chuggin’!
- Phonics Blender – Hear your own word creations with the Phonics Blender! Thousands of fun possibilities!
- Supports up to 10 students, and provides student progress saving and tracking.
- Teaches to visual, kinetic and auditory learners
- Designed for non-readers
- Accelerate students to first-grade reading level
- Includes special font for dyslexic readers
Phonics and Reading with McGuffey is normally $19.90 but for a limited time, it’s free. So download it now!