I have a pet peeve when it comes to writing. I hate to see spelling and grammatical errors – especially when it is written by a professional source, like a newspaper or a printed book. While I’m no grammar queen, and I’m sure I’ve made my fair share of grammatical errors, I’ve always tried to correct them whenever I see them. So when G1 said he wanted to be an author, I figured the least I could do was at least provide him with the resources to make sure he writes “correctly”. Here are some of the resources we’re starting to work with…
Grammar Girl Presents the Ultimate Writing Guide for Students is a complete and comprehensive guide to all things grammar from Grammar Girl, a.k.a. Mignon Fogarty, whose popular podcasts have been downloaded over twenty million times and whose first book, Grammar Girl’s Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing, was a New York Times bestseller.
For beginners to more advanced students, this guide covers it all: the parts of speech, sentences, and punctuation are all explained clearly and concisely with the warmth, wit, and accessibility Grammar Girl is known for. Pop quizzes are scattered throughout to reinforce the explanations, as well as Grammar Girl’s trademark Quick and Dirty Tips – easy and fun memory tricks to help with those challenging rules.
Complete with a writing style chapter and a guide to the different kinds of writing – everything from school papers to letter writing to e-mails – this guide is sure to become the one-stop, essential book on every student’s desk.
More from Grammar Girl
Grammar Girl podcasts are available for free download:
Grammar Girl for iPad
Get Grammar Girl delivered right to your iPhone or iPad each week without any ads or announcements – just great tips to help you write more intelligently and effectively. You will also get updates about upcoming events.
- Get instant access to the show
- Get wallpaper (fun photos of signs gone wrong)
- Follow the show’s Twitter feed
- E-mail the show
- Favorite and download episodes
- Get notified about upcoming events
- Get free book excerpts when they are available
The Grammar Girl show has been in the iTunes top 100 for three years, and Grammar Girl has written a New York Times best-seller and appeared on the Oprah Winfrey Show. Now get this award-winning content directly on your iPhone or iPad.
Think you know your adverbs from your adjectives? Your prepositions from your participles? Can you match them under time pressure? Get Grammar Pop today and prove it.
The award-winning Grammar Girl presents Grammar Pop: A fun word game for adults and a great way for kids to learn parts of speech. Match words with parts-of-speech to pop clouds and progress from nouns and verbs to gerunds and participles.
The sentences get longer, the parts of speech get harder, and the timer gets shorter as you pop more clouds and advance through Grammar Pop. You won’t even know you’re learning!
- 28 levels, 11 parts of speech, and more than 14,000 words
- Start at any level to meet your personal challenge
Grammar Girl Awards
- 2012 International Reading Association Teachers’ Choice (for Grammar Girl Presents the Ultimate Writing Guide for Students)
- 2012 101 Best Websites for Writers – Writer’s Digest (“Best of the Best”)
- 2012 Nominee, Best Education Podcast – Podcast Awards
- 2012 Nominee, Best Education Podcast – Stitcher Awards
- 2011 101 Best Websites for Writers – Writer’s Digest
- 2010 101 Best Websites for Writers – Writer’s Digest
- 2010 Best Classic Podcast – iTunes
- 2009 Best Classic Podcast – iTunes
- 2009 Nominee, Best Education Podcast – Podcast Awards
- 2009 Nominee, Audie Award (for the audiobook of Grammar Girl’s Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing)