About the Quirkles
The Quirkles® are 26 imaginary scientists that help children everyday, all over the world, develop a love and appreciation for science. They offer a fresh new way to integrate literacy and science at school, for educational programs, or at home. Vocabulary builders, two related science experiments, and a character education lesson are also included in each of the 26 alphabet-series books.
The Quirkles are also available on Youtube with some cool science experiments…
Learn about The Quirkles – fun and easy science experiments for children.
The Quirkles Apps
If you enjoyed The Quirkles, you’ll be delighted to know that they are now available on the iTunes App Store:
- Andy Acid – Join Andy Acid and his friend, Annie Alligator, as they learn about acids and bases during an adventurous day in Quirksville. See what happens when Annie eats too many acidic foods and has to visit Dr. Alfred. Once you’ve finished the story make sure to try the hands on science experiments outlined for you in the back of the book. Test the foods you eat to find out if they are an acid or a base through simple experiments you can do at home or school.
- Botanist Bert – Join Botanist Bert and his friends, Buddy Beaver and Bennie Bear, in another Quirkles adventure. Discover what happens when Bennie Bear thinks a head of broccoli is a basketball! After reading the story, try the two hands on science experiments in the back of the book. See how plants can “magically” change colors and plant your own seeds and watch them grow.
- Colorful Caroline – Join Colorful Caroline and her friends, Calvin Cricket and Cathy Cottontail. Explore what happens when Calvin and Cathy make a colorful cape for their friend, Callie Cow, by mixing primary colors. This is a story about friendship as well a science lesson about colors. Be sure and do the hands on science experiments in the back of the book. You can mix your own colors and see the colors “explode.”
- Density Dan – Join Density Dan and his friends, Dipsy Dog and Danny Duck, in another adventurous day in Quirksville. Find out what happens when Dipsy Dog tries to float in fresh water and then in the ocean. After completing the story, be sure to try the science experiments outlined in the back of the book. You will discover that some liquids do not mix and all water is not the same!
- Ellie Electricity – Join Ellie Electricity and her friend, Effie Elf, in a fun Quirkles adventure. Discover with Effie Elf what happens when a wool sweater is pulled over your head. Once you have finished the story, try the two experiments outlined in the back of the book. Explore what happens when you rub a wool sock on a balloon. It’s a hair-raising experience!
- Friction Fred – Join Friction Fred and the Quirksville football team, the Foops, on a Friday night in Quirksville. Discover what happens when Frankie Frog and Filmer Fox can’t run on the slick field on the night of the big game. You won’t want to miss the two hands on science experiments in the back of the book. You will see how friction works in a most unusual way.
- Gilbert Gas – Join Gilbert Gas and his friend, Gary Goat, as they learn about carbon dioxide. Discover what happens when a bottle of “gola” is dropped on the ground and then opened. Gilbert Gas explains how plants need carbon dioxide to live. Be sure and try the two related science experiments. You will make things pop, fizz, and blow up!
- Hallie Heat – Join Hallie Heat and her friends, Henry Horse and Hanna Hen, on a hot, sunny day in Quirksville. Find out what happens when Henry Horse gets too hot in his black hat. You will learn what colors are best to wear in the hot sun. Try the science experiments too. Make some fascinating science discoveries!
- Inquisitive Inman – Inquisitive Inman introduces the concept of scientific inquiry to his friends, Ippy and Izzy Iguana. Discover what happens when Ippy has an incident with indigo ink. Scientific terms such as inquire, infer, and compare are introduced in this Quirkles adventure. You won’t want to miss the two experiments. Find out how to make invisible letters appear.
- Jazzy Jet – Join Jazzy Jet and her friends, Jerry Jackrabbit and Jenny Blue Jay, as they explore the concept of aerodynamics. Discover what happens when you try to fly a jet in the shape of a circle or a square. One of the two experiments will show you how to make super flyer paper jets!
- Kitchen Chemistry Kal – Join Kitchen Chemistry Kal and his friend, Kizzy Kangaroo, on the day of the big carnival in Quirksville. Discover what happens when the local ice cream parlor runs out of ice cream. Kitchen Chemistry Kal demonstrates how liquids can change to solids in a matter of minutes. You won’t want to miss the hands on experiments in the back of the book. Find out how you can make your own ice cream in a bag!
- Lindy Light – Share in another Quirksville adventure as Lindy Light helps Lucy Lion learn about shadows. You will discover how Lucy is frightened when something lurks behind her. You will laugh as Lucy becomes frustrated when the “It” won’t answer her questions. Have a great time as you create your own shadow puppets and conduct the other science experiment too.
- Mary Motion – Explore the principles of motion in the Quirkles book, Mary Motion. See what happens when Mikey Moose and Mindy Mouse compete in a marble race. Discover a secret to winning the race. Reinforce the concepts by conducting the experiments also included in the book.
- Nosey Nina – Share in a Quirkles adventure as Nosey Nina teaches her friend, Ned Newfoundland, about the sense of smell. Explore what happens when Ned tries to eat a plate of nifty noodles while his nose is stuffy. You will discover that sometimes it is difficult to determine the taste or smell of food. Be sure to try the two hands on science experiments in the back of the book. You might be surprised at what you discover!
- Ollie Oxygen – Join Ollie Oxygen and his friend, Professor Oswald, in a very exciting day in Quirksville. Discover what happens when Oz Otter, Oscar Ox, and Otto Ostrich find themselves surrounded by a fire in the forest. Ollie explains to his friends how oxygen makes fire bigger, while carbon dioxide extinguishes fire. Be sure to try the hands on science experiments in the back of the book. Discover for yourself how fire must have oxygen to survive.
- Pressure Pete – Join Pressure Pete in another Quirksville adventure. Discover what happens when Patsy Pig has a hole in her straw as she drinks purple punch. Pressure Pete explains to his friends how pressure is lowered as they suck on a straw. After reading the book, be sure to try the two experiments. You will be surprised what pressure can do to a balloon!
- Quincy Quake – Share in a hilarious Quirksville adventure as Quincy Quake responds to Queen Quilla’s emergency call. Discover what creates an earthquake and be surprised at what can appear to be a quake! You won’t want to miss the two hands on experiments in the back of the book. They might shake you up!
- Ronnie Rock – Join Ronnie Rock and his friend, Ruthie Rabbit, as they explore rocks in this Quirkles book. Discover what happens when Ruthie tries to enter a raspberry in the rare rock contest! There is a great lesson in friendship in this lighthearted Quirkles story. You won’t want to miss the experiments offered either. You will grow things that sparkle!
- Susie Sound – Join Susie Sound as she teaches her friends about sound and a valuable lesson on friendship in another exciting Quirkles story. Find out what happens when Spotty Spider and Sarah Seal tell secrets about Sizzly Snake. Enjoy the great illustrations that demonstrate the way sound travels. Try the two hands on experiments. Learning about sound has never been so fun!
- Timothy Tornado – Share in the exciting Quirkles adventure as Timothy Tornado and his friends are caught in a tornado. Discover, along with Tammy Turtle and Teddy Tiger, what causes a tornado and what to do for safety. Try the hands on science experiments in the back of the book. Beware! You will form your own tornado!
- Underwater Utley – Join Underwater Utley as he rescues his friend, Uzzy Umbrellabird, from drowning in the ocean. Discover why birds cannot live in water while fish can. There is also a great lesson to be learned about being different in this amusing Quirkles adventure. You won’t want to miss the two hands on science experiments in the back of the book. Discover how you can create your own ocean in a bottle!
- Vinnie Volcano – Join Vinnie Volcano in this exciting adventure in Quirksville. Discover what happens when Victor Vet calls Vinnie to come and rescue Vanessa Squirrel and Valerie Rabbit from a volcanic mountain. You will be amazed as they swoop across the mountain on a vine to safety. You can create your own volcano by following the directions in the hands on experiments in the back of the book. Be sure and stand back!
- Watery William – Share in this wild Quirkles adventure as Watery William teaches Wippy Walrus and Wilma Worm about the water cycle. You will laugh when William and Wippy WOOOSH down a giant waterfall. Discover why water is so important for all living things. Make your own version of the water cycle by conducting the experiments in the book. Learning about water has never been so fun!
- X.E Ecology – Join X.E. Ecology in this humorous Quirkles adventure. X.E. tries to tell her friend, Exeter Fox, why he should not litter. Exeter does not listen until trash gets tangled in the spokes of his bicycle wheel. Learn about decomposition and why recycling is so important for ocean life as you conduct the science experiments.
- Yawning Yolanda – Share with Yawning Yolanda and her friends in this Quirkles adventure. Discover what happens when the creatures of Quirksville get a bad case of the yawns. Yawning Yolanda teaches that there is still much to be learned about how our body works. Be sure and try the hands on experiments in the back of the book. You may be the one to solve the mystery of the yawns!
- Zany Science Zeke Fun – Join Zany Science Zeke in this humorous Quirkles adventure. Zeke protects his friend, Ziffy Zebra, from the Quirksville bully, Zachary Zoop. He brings them together by demonstrating how fun science can be by creating a concoction called “Zop.” The three become friends as they explore and experiment together. Be sure and make your own “Zop” that is outlined in the experiments in the back of the book. Science can be very zany!
What’s on Each App:
- The complete Quirkles book on the corresponding letter of the alphabet ($11.99 value alone)
- Record your own voice for each page
- Quirkles video
- Colouring book app
- Fun puzzles
- Matching memory games
- Science experiments
- Fun science facts
- Fun experiment videos
Each app costs US$9.99. Visit the the iTunes App Store.