Babies are born with the ability to subtitize – recognise quantities without counting. They are also born with the capability of learning the rules of Math quickly and easily given the opportunity and right environment to do so. As they grow older, they begin to lose this ability unless something is done early enough to help them preserve it.
Math Tools, Materials, Programs
- BrillKids Little Math – Software program for teaching young children Math using digital flash cards.
- Math Secret – Teach your child Anzan (Mental Math) and help your child succeed in Math at school. This program helps to motivate children to learn using fun, creative and challenging materials.
- Splash Math – Terrific app for the iPhone and iPad that lets you teach Math to your child on the go. It’s fun and engaging, and it will have your child clammouring for more Math.
- How to Teach Your Baby Math – Glenn Doman Method
- Brilliant Minds Montessori Math Kits – developed by Dr. Meredith McCurdy for her students at Brilliant Minds Montessori in Sanford, FL. Dr. McCurdy is a Certified Montessori Teacher and holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology from Syracuse University, a Master’s Degree in Child Development and Education from the University of London, England, and a Ph.D. in Psychology from the University of London, England. Dr. McCurdy is licensed and certified by the State of Florida in Child Care Center Management. Dr. McCurdy’s research into the cognitive-developmental processes of the preschool years has been published in The Journal of Child Study.
- Play Moolah – teaching children about money
- ABC Mouse – Early learning academy with full online curriculum from preschool through kindergarten
- Reader Rabbit – Personalised Math Educational Software
- Leapfrog – numbers and math learning DVDs
- Jump Start – Knowledge adventure teaching math as well as other subjects
- Disney Learning Adventures – The Search for the Secret Keys – Computer game featuring Mickey and his friends who will teach children the basics of Math through a series of Math games.
- Making Math More Fun
- Jones Geniuses – Accelerated Homeschool Curricula (Review: Jones Geniuses Math Program)
- IXL Math – Pre-K to Grade 8
- Math Abacus – How to Use Soroban
- DreamBox Learning
- Homeschool Math – free worksheets, ebooks, lessons, curriculum
- Free Math eBooks – hundreds of lessons
- Teaching Science and Math – Resources and Strategies for K-12 Science and Math Teachers
Tools and Materials: