Now that the kids are older, I have been looking for a more complete language program to help them work on a second language. Aside from the fact that being bilingual is really good for the brain, I really want them to be able to speak Chinese because they are Chinese. It is my deepest hope that they won’t grow up to become another “banana” like me. Many of the programs we’ve looked at so far have been great for building a foundation or to include as an add on. They aren’t comprehensive because they don’t teach literacy – and by that, I mean they don’t teach you how to write and only some programs teach reading.
I’d heard about the Rosetta Stone before but I confess it was a long time ago and I didn’t give it too much notice because we weren’t ready for it. To date, it is probably the most comprehensive “at home” lessons I have seen – short of hiring a personal tutor. Given the way it works, it is a program that even I could use. Perhaps if we work on it together as a family, I might even convince my kids how important I really think it is for them to learn this language…
The Rosetta Stone is an interactive “immersion” software with an advanced system that presents material at the right intervals to optimise individual learning. The curriculum is sequenced to introduce new skills in a way that stimulates your brain’s natural language learning ability.
Language immersion is a method of teaching a second language in which the learners’ second language is the medium of classroom instruction. It is the fastest and most effective method for learning a second language.
The set comes with 5 Levels:
- Level 1 & 2: Fundamentals and Connection (0-100 hours) – master basic conversational skills, such as greetings, introductions, simple Q&As, and more…
- Level 3 & 4: Exploration and Clarity (101-200 hours) – learn to navigate your environment and handle basic interactions. This includes giving and getting directions, using transportation, telling time, eating out, and more…
- Level 5: Conversation (201-250 hours) – discuss entertainment, culture, government, and the marketplace. This is the place to refine and perfect your conversation skills.
Rosetta Studio introduces you to real conversation in online sessions with language coaches who are native speakers. Supercharge your learning and experience everything communicating live has to offer.
Rosetta World is a lively online community where ramping up your language skills looks a lot like playing games. Reinforce what you’ve learned by having a live online chat, or facing off against new friends around the world. Chances are, you’ll be having so much fun, you won’t realize how much you’re improving.
Rosetta Stone on the Go!
- Learn to read, write, and speak in Chinese (Mandarin) with Rosetta Stone.
- Build upon a foundation of key Chinese (Mandarin) vocabulary, words, and phrases.
- Rosetta Stone moves forward when you are ready. You drive the pace. You set the schedule.
- Practice live online with a native Chinese (Mandarin) speaking tutor, and have access to the Rosetta Stone online learning community.
- Take the Rosetta Stone experience with you while on-the-go, free 3 month trial included. Build your Chinese (Mandarin) language skills from your tablet and mobile devices.
- Interactive language software with proprietary speech-recognition technology
- Develop your command of the language–read, write, speak, and understand
- Build vocabulary; negotiate complex situations; share ideas and opinions
- Enhance your learning on-the-go with Rosetta Stone mobile apps for the Kindle Fire HD, iPad and iPhone. Three month access included with purchase.
- Language-enhancing games; live online lessons; includes headset with microphone
- The complete Chinese (Mandarin) set will enable you to express your ideas and opinions in Chinese (Mandarin) and master the conversational skills required to plan adventures, care for your health, and move abroad.
- Talk about government, work, movies, family, and more. Includes everything you need to learn at home and on the go.
Rosetta Stone is also available for:
If you would like a free version of Rosetta Stone, you should check out Live Mocha. Live Mocha allows you to learn a new language for free so long as you make a contribution to the Live Mocha community by helping others learn your native language. If you can’t help others, you will have to buy beans to get more lessons so I’m not sure how this would work if you’re using it for your children to learn a second language. Rosetta Stone requires a heftier outlay from the start but it may work out better in the long run.