More tips for dealing with morning sickness that I have discovered since writing my last blog post on the topic:
- Bananas – I stumbled on this one quite by accident. I woke up one morning feeling so hungry, I ate a banana before my usual breakfast. I felt surprisingly good that day. Later I went to check it out and it appears that the potassium in bananas is great for quelling the queasy stomach.
- Boiled sweets – yes, I know, it’s not what the dentist recommended, but it does help. I guess it’s the alternative to sipping sweet liquids periodically.
- Don’t overeat – I find that when I’m too full, I feel nauseous. One recommendation is to drink liquids in between meals so your tummy doesn’t get too bloated.
- Frequent meals and snacks – I find that getting too hungry between meals can trigger off the nausea so if I eat before I get too hungry, it helps. Even if dinner is only an hour away, if I’m hungry now, I’ll eat now.
- Ginger flavours – a friend recommended boiling some ginger in water and adding honey. Apparently this concoction works wonders. Personally, I’ve never been very fond of ginger so I thought I would try ginger ale instead. It sort of works, but I think you need to be careful about which brand of ginger ale you get. My SIL2 recommends the one by Waitrose (which she takes when she has an upset tummy). I suggest staying away from the one by Fraser and Naeve – I bought that and it made me feel worse.