I had my eighth visit to Dr Wong on Friday. Vital statistics were good:
- Blood pressure 110/70
- Urine clear
- Weight gained was not so good – 3.5kgs since the last appointment. Gosh I wonder how that happened? *eyes wide with innocence* Seriously though, I did think I was relatively well-behaved.
- Baby’s weight: 3.4kg
Ironically, Dr Wong’s palpation of my stomach seemed to suggest that Gareth was not that large, although the scans estimated him to be larger. If we follow the estimations based on Gavin’s pre and post birth weight, it would seem that the scans are also under-predicting because Gavin was estimated to be about 3.8kg, yet he was born 4kg. So based on Gareth’s estimated weight, Dr Wong suggested we should start the induction process in two weeks time – which should be about a week ahead of the predicted delivery time.
Personally, I wouldn’t have minded if Dr Wong recommended inducing as early as next week after a rather traumatic week of pain. That said, the back pain and groin pain seems to have subsided somewhat over the weekend and I’m wondering if all my spring cleaning might have had something to do with aggravating it. Additionally, it has been a rather quiet weekend for us – no going out, no shopping, basically no gallivanting of any sort.
On the flip side, the nipple pain from nursing seems to have escalated to a whole new level – just as my BFF warned. Dang! There I was counting my blessings that I didn’t have it quite as bad, but now even I get shirty with Gavin during our nursing sessions because it feels like he’s perpetually biting me. My mantra has become – “two more weeks”…
Okay, I’m digressing… It appears that the problems and risks associated with large babies aren’t only due to the increased likelihood of requiring a caesarean, but there is also increased risk of birth trauma. I suppose that was a fact that goes without saying since babies born to mothers with gestational diabetes are also large and prone to increased birth trauma, jaundice, etc. If those risks are related to a large baby, then it is only to be expected that the risks are the same for every large baby regardless of mother’s diabetic status or lack of.
So if all goes according to plan, I should be delivering Gareth sometime after November 20 instead of November 29. That is, as long as Gareth doesn’t decide to come out earlier. In the mean time, I’ll be busy packing my bags. Wish me luck.