When I first started hunting for books on character building that help to teach children values, I was rather disappointed that I couldn’t find much in the local bookshops. Since then, I’ve managed to find a great series called “Help Me Be Good” by Joy Berry. Unfortunately, it’s kind of expensive if you buy it directly from Grolier. There were a few other random books in the bookshops, but they were more on abstract morals that are not so relevant to young children. Stuff like Aesop’s Fables is definitely too advanced for a young child.
Recently, I heard about a series that was recommended to me by Gareth’s TweedleWink teacher. It is called “A First Look At…” and it is by Pat Thomas. Although there are some overlaps with Joy Berry’s “Help Me Be Good” and “Let’s Talk About” series, there are some good titles that cover other important topics that all children should be aware of. It is also a good alternative if you don’t want to get Joy Berry’s series. Although the titles aren’t quite as extensive as Joy Berry’s books, it still covers the more important topics.
Here are the titles in this series:
- I Miss You (Death)
- I Can Make a Difference (Setting an Example)
- Why Do I Feel Scared?
- Everyone Matters (Respect)
- I Can Do It (Not Giving Up)
- My Brother, My Sister, and Me (Sibling Rivalry)
- My Amazing Journey (Where Babies Come From)
- My Amazing Body (Health and Fitness)
- The Skin I’m In (Racism)
- My Family’s Changing (Separation)
- Don’t Call Me Special (Disabilities)
- I Can Be Safe
- I’m Telling the Truth (Honesty)
- Stop Picking on Me (Bullying)
- Is it Right to Fight (Anger)
- My Manners Matter (Politeness)
- Do I Have to Go to School?
- Why Am I So Tired? (Diabetes)
- I Think I’m Going to Sneeze (Allergies)
- Why is it so Hard to Breathe? (Asthma)
- Do I Have to go to the Dentist?
- Do I Have to go to the Hospital?
- My Parents Picked Me (Adoption)
- My Friends and Me (Friendship)
Some of the titles are available from MPH ranging from about RM28 to RM33 each.