When we were at the Science Center to see the dinosaur exhibition in June, we picked up a Batik painting kit with a picture of a dinosaur. It is basically a picture drawn onto a piece of fabric with a wax outline on a cardboard frame, 6 fabric paints and a paintbrush.
Batik painting is a terrific activity for young children because they are free to be as creative as they want with the colours and the end result still looks like a picture they can be proud of.
Batik painting kits for children are available online from Lazada and Art Friend in The Gardens, Midvalley.
You can also teach your child the whole process of batik painting and let your child design his own pattern or picture. I did a similar activity using silk in a textiles class once. It involved drawing a design onto a piece of fabric using quick wax and painting it in using fabric paints. With your child, you may want to draw the picture with a pencil first before tracing over it with quick wax.
Note: Traditional batik painting uses melted wax for the outline which is messy and hot. Quick wax doesn’t require any heating or melting making it more suitable for children. The downside to quick wax is that it is sticky and if your fabric is folded it can stick together – at least that was the problem I had last time. I don’t know if the newer forms of quick wax have been modified to overcome this problem.
Here’s a video of the process:
Batik Painting Kits
- Become a batik artist with this fun, creative, and therapeutic painting kit. Tone, mix and match colors and paint it on the beautifully pre-painted Malaysian-themed wax designs. Frame up the finished art work and proudly hang it on your wall!
- Batik canvases are 8″ x 8″, individually mounted on a cardboard frame that also acts as an elevated painting surface.
- The box kit comes with everything ready, only creativity is needed. Perfect as a birthday, Mother’s Day gift, ladies night activity, group activity, play dates or summer art painting activity for adults and kids!
- Each set contains (a) 2 x 8″ x 8″ pre-painted wax motive canvas on cardboard frames (b) 6 x 2.5 ml batik color dyes (c) 1 x nylon hair paint brush.
- The batik painting color dye is non-toxic, water-based, uses organic color pigment, conforms to International Safety Standard EN71.
Batik Painting Box Kits
- 2 in 1: Kampung House and Wau
- 2 in 1: Orchid and Parrot
- 2 in 1: Owl and Cat
- 2 in 1: Crown Fish and Corals Fish
- 2 in 1: Fish and Seahorse
- 2 in 1: Rafflesia and Hornbill
- 2 in 1: Hibiscus and Butterfly
- 2 in 1: Butterfly and Orchid
- 2 in 1: Chameleon and Owl
- 2 in 1: Goldfish and Toucan
- DIY Batik Painting Kit – various designs
- Inspire your own mini Batik artists at home with these kits. Complete with batik colour dyes and brush, kids will have fun toning, mixing and matching colours and painting it on these beautifully pre-outlined Malaysian-themed wax designs.
- Frame your child’s finished painting as a wall hanging!
- Easy to do with beautiful results.
- The batik canvases are approximately 8″ x 8″ (21cm x 21cm), individually mounted on cardboard frame that serves as an elevated painting surface.
- The kit contains everything you need to create your own batik painting.
- Batik Painting dyes are certified: non-toxic, water-based, using organic colour pigment, and conforms to International Safety Standard EN71.
More Art Fun: