The wonderful thing about the iPad/iPod/iPhone is that if you are patient enough, someone will eventually create the app that you are looking for. When I first wrote my Right Brain Training for Lazy Moms series of blog posts (the links are listed below), I searched high and low for a Mandala app that would replicate the activity in Heguru. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find one. Then I discovered two Mandala apps that were acceptable substitutes for an app I could not find.
Recently, a helpful reader shared the following app which is even better:
- Colour in the Mandala from memory – a Mandala pattern is displayed briefly and then removed. You are then given the pattern outline and are required to colour it in from memory.
- Match the Mandala from memory – a Mandala pattern is displayed briefly and then removed. You are then given a choice of four Mandalas with the same pattern but different colouring and you need to identify the one you saw from memory.
There are 4 levels: easy, normal, hard, and expert. Each level contains 25 Mandala patterns (the first 5 are free). To unlock the rest, you need to purchase access to the full app for $0.99. The duration of time that the Mandala is shown on screen can be adjusted from 1 second to 5 seconds. They also recommend pausing for 5-10 seconds before colouring the Mandala to train your memory. Over time, the aim is to lengthen the time. If you can pause for 1 minute after the Mandala has disappeared and colour in the Mandala correctly, you can assume that you have successfully developed your photographic memory.
Watch the game in action:
Get the App:
More on Right Brain Training for Lazy Moms:
- Right Brain Home Practice Activities for Lazy Moms
- More Right Brain Home Practice Activities for Lazy Moms
- Right Brain Home Practice Activities for Lazy Moms Part 3