Thanks to BrillKids Little Reader, Hercules’ reading vocabulary has expanded enormously. Whenever we pass random signs, he will read out the words and/or attempt to decipher the pronunciation if the word is unfamiliar. He still likes to pull out his books at home and “read” them but he only ever really reads the books with one or two lines per page. He prefers to follow along when someone else reads to him when there are a lot of words on the page.
To encourage his reading, I have started downloading audio storybooks on the iPad so he can practice reading along even when I am not free to read to him. Unlike Aristotle, Hercules was not always so fond of books so it is, so I was delighted to observe that Hercules frequently chooses to play the storybook apps. Of course nothing replaces the time I spend actually physically reading to Hercules, but having a collection of read-along story apps on the iPad means he gets to read along even more.
Here’s a collection of read along story apps we have found that we like. Please drop us a line if there are some you really like that we have missed.
Chocolapps provides a great collection of classic stories for reading at an intermediate level. The books are animated and have both “read along” or “read it myself” options so readers at different levels can enjoy this series.
- The Three Little Pigs
- Goldilocks and the Three Bears
- Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves
- The Adventures of Peter Pan
- Hansel and Gretel
- Snow White
- The Little Mermaid
- Robin Hood
- The Jungle Book
- Jack and the Beanstalk
- Puss in Boots
This is a really great app with 25 audio books that are all available for free. Designed for children ages 4 to 11, this series will captivate your child with its tales of adventure. At the end of each story is a comprehension section. Children can select between listening to stories or reading independently.
Two aliens are visiting our world. Follow them on a journey to learn about life on Earth and learn your phonics sounds at the same time.
- Search and Explore Series
- Zoo Series
- Aesop’s Fables Series
- Beginning Reader Series: Word Families
There are five stories in all and each talks about a specific value, e.g. courage. One of the stories comes free with the app. The rest have to be purchased “in-app”. Hercules really loves this one.
- Three Little Pigs and the Secrets of a Pop-up Book – there are loads of versions of this story available, but we love this one the best. It’s made by the same creator as Bobo Explores Light which was another really awesome app. This app isn’t just a read along story, it’s also an interactive pop-up book that allows you to put on x-ray glasses to see how a pop-up book works.
- Alice in New York
- The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin
There are lots of story apps available here, some with free versions. We learned all about how the Chinese Zodiac came about through this app.
How could we miss this one? Dr Seuss is a big favourite of Hercules…
- The Cat in the Hat
- Dr Seuss Beginner Book Collection
- Green Eggs and Ham
- Dr Seuss’s ABC
- One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish
- The Lorax
- What was I Scared of?
- Oh Say Can You Say Di-No-Saur?
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas
- The Big Brag
- There’s No Place Like Space
- Oh the Places You’ll Go
- The Cat in the Hat Comes Back
- Hop on Pop
- Yertle the Turtle
- The Sneetches
- Horton Hears a Who
- Gertrude McFuzz
- The Foot Book
- I Can Name 50 Trees Today
- Fox in Socks
- Marvin K Mooney
- Mr Brown Can Moo! Can You?
- There’s a Wocket in My Pocket
- On Beyond Zebra!
- If I Ran the Zoo!
- On Beyond Bugs!
- You’re Only Old Once…
- …and lots more…
Berenstain Bears by Oceanhouse Media:
- The Golden Rule
- Learn to Share
- Christmas tree
- Gift of Courage
- Bedtime Battle
- Job Well Done
- BIG Bedtime Book
- The Bad Influence
- Do Their Best
- The Big Spelling Bee
- Give Thanks
- Faithful Friends
- Play a Good Game
- Love Their Neighbours
- Get in a Fight
- Trouble with Chores
- Hug and Make Up
- In the Dark
- Hurry to Help
This is another favourite and I’m really annoyed that it is only available on the US App store. They have two titles – Oceans and Dinosaurs. It used to be available a long time ago but they have since removed it – I don’t know why. Perhaps they can reconsider making it available across all app stores.
This is the story of Thomas Edison.
- Mickey’s Wildlife Count Along – we have the physical version of this book which Hercules really likes.
- Toy Story
- Toy Story 2
- Toy Story 3
- Mickey’s Spooky Night Puzzle Book – used to be a big favourite of Hercules’
- Winnie the Pooh Puzzle Book – used to be a favourite of Hercules’
- Pooh’s Birthday Surprise – another old favourite
- Classic Winnie the Pooh
- Cars 2
- The Trip – Little Critter Reading Adventure – one of Hercules’ favourite story book apps (even Aristotle likes it).
- Just Saving My Money – Little Critter (there are more Little Critters story book apps available from Oceanhouse Media
Animalia by Graeme Base
This was one of my favourite books as a child so I was really pleased to see it as an app. There are lots of other fun things your child can do with this app.
A lovely collection of Aesop’s fables.
Who could miss Beatrix Potter’s famous rabbit and beautiful illustrations?
This is a good app if you want one with a collection of stories.
- Berestain Bears Collection 1 availablef or $10.99 (limited time)
- Just Saving My Money – Little Critter reduced to $0.99 (limited time)