The positive results of Sugata Mitra‘s “Hole in the Wall” experiment and what I read in an article – How a Radical New Teaching Method Could Unleash a Generation of Geniuses – recently, has inspired me to compile a list of educational apps that we like. Contact me if you have any to add that you feel should be in this list.
Chocolapps have a fun range of apps designed to teach children about money, the human body, animals around the world, and more…
- The Little Market – math in everyday life. Learn about money, counting, and weighing food.
- The Human Body Explained – learn about your own body, what it’s made of, how it works, and how it communicates with the outside world, as well as how it defends itself against infections and how it develops.
- Animapps – Animals, their families, their sounds, their homes, and their food.
- KidsECook – let your child learn how to prepare a variety of recipes without the associated dangers of being in the kitchen.
National Geographic offers some really cool apps for kids.
- Look & Learn: Animals Vol 1
- Weird But True
- Kids Magazine
- Ultimate Dinopedia
- Look & Learn: Animal Alphabet
Designed for children ages 8-11, Science Through Photography offers a series of apps that teaches children about various science topics through beautiful images of the world around them.
Britannica Kids has a series of interactive apps packed with facts and games to encourage children’s learning.
- Solar System
- Knights and Castles
- Ancient Rome
- Endangered Species
- Coral Reefs
BrainPop is an animated educational science for kids covering various topics under Science, Health, Technology, Math, Social Studies, Arts & Music and English. The content is communicated through movies, and retention is reinforced with quizzes and activity pages.
If you like BrainPop, you should also check out Khan Academy. Aimed at older children and adults, Khan Academy contains a complete library of over 4,200 videos. You can watch them all for free.
With over 52 hours of lessons, McGuffey Phonics and Reading is a complete phonics and reading curriculum for beginners. It introduces letter sounds to reading complete stories following the time honored McGuffey reading method.
This series of educational apps offers children from toddler to Grade 3 a fun and interactive way to learn math, reading, spelling and writing.
Splash Math offers a collection of fun and interactive math problems from Kindergarten to Grade 5.
- Splash Math Kindergarten
- Splash Math Grade 1
- Splash Math Grade 2
- Splash Math Grade 3
- Splash Math Grade 4
- Splash Math Grade 5
- Splash Math Grade 1 to 5
Using kid-friendly stories and games, Ned the Neuron teaches children how our brains can grow and get stronger if we take on challenges. Designed by teachers and neuroscientists, this app gives children confidence and improved concentration when learning new things.
A fun adventure game for preschoolers that teaches math skills at the same time.
An app that teaches children essential money and math skills in a fun and interactive way. Children will learn about:
- Setting Goals
- Earning Money
- Saving & Spending Decision Making
- Giving to Charity
The game that secretly teaches algebra – it’s so fun, your children won’t know they are learning math!
Step into the shoes of an engineer and figure out how to build different structures within the budget. Strained areas are highlighted to show areas of weakness causing structural failure. This helps children to pinpoint the areas that require more work.
Available for Androids only, this interactive app will send your children on a Science Quest to learn more about the world around them.
Exploring science from A to Z while learning to read…
- Andy Acid
- Botanist Bert
- Colorful Caroline
- Density Dan
- Ellie Electricity
- Friction Fred
- Gilbert Gas
- Hallie Heat
- Inquisitive Inman
- Jazzy Jet
- Kitchen Chemistry Kal
- Lindy Light
- Mary Motion
- Nosey Nina
- Ollie Oxygen
- Pressure Pete
- Quincy Quake
- Ronnie Rock
- Susie Sound
- Timothy Tornado
- Underwater Utley
- Vinnie Volcano
- Watery William
- X.E. Ecology
- Yawning Yolanda
- Zany Science Zeke
Preschool educational app with puzzles from 4 main categories of activities:
- Match the objects
- Find the object
- Spot the difference
- Solve the picture puzzle
Learn all about the properties of light on this fun and ineractive app:
- the sun
- Thomas Edison
- the human eye
- glow in the dark
Learn about the facts around the world with these geography game apps:
A terrific series of educational apps for helping preschoolers and toddlers to learn the skills required in kindergarten.
- Abby – Toys Train
- First Words – School Adventure
- Abby Monkey – Baby Bubbles
- Abby Monkey – Baby Play Mat
- Colours Train – Learning Colours
- Animal Preschool Word Puzzles
- Alphabet Aquarium Letter
- Abby – Animal Preschool Shape
- Abby Phonics – Kindergarten
- Abby Monkey – Basic Skills
- Animal Train
- Abby Monkey – Preschool Shapes
- Abby Musical Puzzle
- First Words – School Adventure
- Abby Phonics – Kindergarten
- Alphabet Aquarium Letter…
- …and more…
Learn how to write letters, numbers and words and practice handwriting with these interactive handwriting apps.
Created by EduPad, iTooch offers a series of digital workbooks on iPad covering math, science, language arts, and music. iTooch boasts the largest collection of educational activities based on the US National Common Core Standards from elementary to middle school on the App Store.
- iTooch Elementary School – Math, Language Arts, and Science (Grade 3-5)
- iTooch Grade 3 – Math, Language Arts, and Science
- iTooch Grade 4 – Math, Language Arts, and Science
- iTooch Grade 5 – Math, Language Arts, and Science
- iTooch Math Grade 5
- iTooch Math Grade 6
- iTooch Math Grade 7
- iTooch Math Grade 8
- iTooch Language Arts Grade 5
- iTooch Language Arts Grade 6
- iTooch Language Arts Grade 7
- iTooch Language Arts Grade 8
- iTooch Recess
- iTooch Music – The Basics, Theory, Cultures and Styles, History
- iTooch French as a Foreign Language
- iTooch Health Grade 6 – Nutrition, Medical Musts, Physical Activity and Sports, Safety, Growth and Development
- iTooch Middle School – Math and Language Arts (Grade 6-8)
- iTooch SAT – Critical Reading, Math, Biology, US History
- iTooch TOEFL
This app offers a collection of digital worksheets for iPad on Math, Science, Social Studies and Language Arts from Grade 1 to 6. Space Boards Digital Workbooks require the use of a stylus.
This app offers practice for over 1500 mathematical skills from reception to Year 7, from skip-counting with pictures to multi-step story problems. Children are motivated through colourful prizes to mark the completion of each milestone.
- Montessori MatheMAGICs: Dynamic Division
- DragonBox Elements – by the makers of DragonBox Algebra, this app teaches geometry in a cool, fun way.
- Reading Eggs
- iTunes U
- Educational Apps for Androids
- Science Apps for Kids
- Science Apps and Games for Kids
- Science Apps from Science Net Links
- Read Along Story Book Apps for Children