We have heard it over and over again – learning music is good for the brain and it’s good for our children’s development. It benefits our children in so many ways…
- The wondrous benefits of learning a musical instrument
- Why you should send your child for music lessons
- Brain scans show how learning a musical instrument enhances our brains
If you’ve been wanting to send your child for piano lessons but weren’t sure where to find a teacher, you may be interested to learn more about The Hoffman Academy…
About The Hoffman Academy
The Hoffman Academy is a complete online musical training program providing free video piano lessons that guide students, step-by-step, through each new song and concept. Designed for beginners with no prior experience, the lessons quickly enable students to play songs they’ll enjoy, starting from the very first lesson. Piano instructor Joseph Hoffman is adept at making even the most tricky concepts simple, memorable, and fun. Each lesson is between 5 and 15 minutes – easy to fit in on any schedule, and the ideal length for keeping attention and focus high.
Beyond learning to play songs on the piano, Hoffman Academy provides a fully rounded music education, including:
- Correct playing technique, posture, and hand position
- How to read and write notes on the grand staff (treble clef and bass clef)
- How to read, write, and perform rhythms
- How to listen to music and to dictate melodies
- How to improvise and compose your own songs
- The basics of music theory, including chords, key signatures, and more!
To get started, visit The Hoffman Academy website and hover over LESSONS on the top menu bar, when the menu pops up go down to UNIT 1, then click on LESSON 1 to go to the first lesson page. There you can sign in to create a Hoffman Academy account, or you can also watch the lesson as a guest.
Using Hoffman Academy is like having your teacher right at home helping you every day. If practice isn’t going as smoothly as you would like, you can go back and review the video lesson as many times as needed. Hundreds of parents and kids around the world say that they love Mr. Hoffman’s teaching style and creative, streamlined approach to learning piano. Visit Hoffman Academy and find out how much fun learning to play the piano can be.
What is the Hoffman Method?
More than just piano lessons, the Hoffman Method is a rigorous and comprehensive music curriculum with the aim to create well-rounded musicians who not only play, but who truly comprehend music. Students who use the Hoffman Method develop a broad array of musical skills and a sense of empowerment in knowing they can express themselves creatively and meaningfully through the language of music. To achieve this, the Hoffman Method emphasizes the following areas of learning:
- Ear training
- Sight reading
- Music theory
Similar to the Suzuki Method, the Hoffman Method follows the principle of training the EAR before the EYE. Most music programs begin by teaching children to learn to read musical notations. The Hoffman Method teaches music following the method of learning language – we begin by listening to sounds and speaking by ear before we ever learn to read a word. Similarly, in the process of learning music, the Hoffman Method believes we should experience the music before trying to decode it.
The Hoffman Method challenges the traditional methods for learning the piano by encouraging:
- experience before explanation – learning to play the music before the technical aspects of music are explained
- development of the whole musician – not only to learn to read and recite music but to be able to create and improvise
Read more about the Hoffman Philosophy.
Who is it for?
- Anyone who wants to learn how to play the piano
- A parent and child wanting to take piano lessons together
- A piano student who already has a teacher and who wants to supplement his or her learning
- Piano teachers who want to learn new tools and techniques for teaching piano to beginners
How much is it?
The video piano lessons are available for free. You can watch these as many times as you like, when you like. The Hoffman Academy aspires to make music lessons more accessible and affordable for children in any situation by providing the most expensive part of music lessons – the lessons themselves – free!
If you wish to extend your child’s music learning, the Complete Materials for each Unit of 20 Lessons (includes activity pages, sheet music, practice instructions, and MP3 files) can be purchased from the Hoffman Academy website for $19. That’s less than $1 per lesson!
- The Suzuki Method
- Brillkids Little Musician
- Piano Wizard Academy
- Piano Maestro
- The Ultimate Guide to Playing the Piano