From The Montessori Mafia:
Montessori builds innovators. The “Montessori educational approach might be the surest route to joining the creative elite, which are so overrepresented by the school’s alumni that one might suspect a Montessori Mafia: Google’s founders Larry Page and Sergei Brin, Amazon’s Jeff Bezos, videogame pioneer Will Wright, and Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales, not to mention Julia Child and rapper Sean “P.Diddy” Combs.”
In a 2006 study from the journal Science, they found that across a range of abilities, children at Montessori schools out-performed those given a traditional education:
- “Among the 5-year-olds, Montessori students were found to be significantly better in “three WJ tests measuring academic skills related to school readiness.” They “were also tested on executive function, thought to be important to success in school… Montessori children performed significantly better on this test.”
- Among the 12 year olds, “the Montessori students’ essays were rated as significantly more creative and as using significantly more sophisticated sentence structures.”
- Montessori children develop better behaviour, social and academic skills than those at conventional schools.
A number of other articles also tout the benefits of a Montessori Education:
- 10 Benefits of a Montessori Preschool – Education
- Benefits of Montessori – American Montessori Society
- Benefits of the Montessori Method – Montessori Connections
Not All Montessori Schools are Equal
After hearing so much about the wonders of a Montessori Education, many parents may be persuaded to send their preschoolers to a Montessori Preschool. Unfortunately, although many preschools claim to be “Montessori” schools, a number of the preschools that I saw (when I was investigating preschools for G2 some years back) were not true Montessori schools because they did not embrace the philosophies of Maria Montessori in their entirety. For parents who are serious about sending their children to a Montessori school, it is important to understand the nature and philosophy of a Montessori Education so that you can identify whether the school you are considering for your child is truly Montessori in nature. The following infographic from Naudain Academy will help.