Screen-Free Week is an annual, international initiative to encourage families to take a break from digital entertainment. The goal is to promote digital balance – you can still use devices for work or school – but if screens are interfering with regular family time, it may be time to think about how we’re using it.
So during the week of May 4 – 10, 2015, consider swapping your digital entertainment and seek out the joys of life beyond the screen. Instead of watching TV, surfing the web, or playing with apps and video games, they read, play, think, create, get active, and spend more time with family and friends.
Screen-Free Week isn’t about a blanket ban on devices, it’s about moderation.
Screen-Free Play & Activities
Try some of these screen-free activities:
- 101 Screen-Free Activities List
- 75 Screen-Free Activities from Let’s Lasso the Moon
- 30 fun activity ideas and printables from Education.com
- 50 Fun Activities for Screen Free Week
Here are some of our screen-free fun ideas:
- Easy Science Experiments
- Travel Fun: Easy, Screen-Free Games to Play When You’re Travelling with the Kids
- Some Easy Screen-Free Activities for Toddlers
- Hiking with the family
- Sand Play
- Imaginative Play
- Activity Books – Brain Games, Search and Find
- Clay Modelling
- Abstract Art
- Jewellery Making
- Good Ol’ Fashioned Board Games
- Playing with Lego is Good for Children – Let Me Count the Ways…
- The Screen-Free Test