If you have nothing else, at least be creative. – How do you nurture creativity in children
Why should we nurture creativity in children?
- Creativity increases their chances for success.
- Creativity helps them stand out from the crowd.
- Creativity opens doors for opportunity.
- Creativity can compensate of having a low IQ but having a high IQ does not compensate for lack of creativity.
And yet, despite knowing and acknowledging the importance of nurturing creativity in children, the way we raise children seems to indicate otherwise. The personality traits that are associated with creative individuals, such as being impulsive, emotional, individualistic, and having a preference to be alone when creating something new – are qualities we dislike in children and we try to squash them. Instead, we promote traits that run counter to creativity, such as conformity, sincerity, reliability and unquestioned acceptance of authority.
Even our lifestyles discourage children from being creative. We’ve taken all the creativity out of our children’s toys and given them “follow the instructions” toys. Think Lego – it used to come in a big box with no instructions and children were supposed to come up with their own ideas of what to make with it. Now, many Lego sets come with detailed instructions that tell you exactly where each piece should go so you can make the item pictured on the box. You don’t need to be creative to make the item on the box; all you need is the ability to follow instructions. The real creativity behind these kits lies with the person who came up with it. Every time I look at a Lego set, I marvel at the team that came up with concept and I wonder if our children would ever be as creative.
“Kids today don’t play like we used to.” That’s a phrase I often hear from my peers. We had less toys but more imagination. Even if we did have toys, they were less structured and more open-ended. Our children today may be far more intelligent than we ever were at their equivalent age, but we were definitely more creative with the stuff we came up with. A blanket was transformed into a princess’ ball gown; a stick became Excalibur; a cardboard box became a rocket ship – you get what I mean, you’ve been there, done that.
How can we help our children hold on to that creativity? Perhaps we just need to encourage more free, open-ended explorations in play, and that’s what Tegu aspires to achieve…
About Tegu Blocks
“Click-Clack”. It’s the iconic sound of two Tegu Blocks coming together. Tegu has reinvented the wooden block in a way that brings new life to a favored classic. By safely embedding magnets into each piece, Tegu Blocks become curiously attractive for both kids and kids at heart.
- Brilliantly Simple – Defy gravity and push your imagination in ways never before possible. No instruction manuals or electronics, just toys that demand imagination and inspire limitless creativity across all ages. Open-ended play is endangered, but Tegu is bringing it back. There is something magical about watching a child’s imagination unfold. The curiosity. The ingenuity. The creativity. Even more exciting is creating a product that unlocks a child’s mind. Tegu exists to create experiences that captivate children in safe, natural and innovative ways.
- Naturally Safe – At Tegu, this creativity also meets responsibility. Through socially responsible business practices and humanitarian efforts, they are dedicated to helping the Honduran community whether it involve creating employment opportunities, respecting and renewing the environment, or providing for education in this struggling nation. Created with beautiful Honduran hardwoods and safe water-based finishes, these magnetic wooden blocks have proven wildly addictive for kids (and kids at heart) and will encourage the simple joy of creating for generations.
- Curiously Attractive – These blocks provide hours of play. Tegu blocks come packaged in a beautifully designed box large and rigid enough to store the blocks for many years to come. Don’t miss out on some really fun factoids about the blocks and their origin on the inside of each package.
What you will get:
40 blocks in seven shapes:
- 4 Large Columns
- 8 Mega Planks
- 8 Long Planks
- 4 Medium Columns
- 4 Small Trapezoids
- 4 Large Trapezoids
- 8 Short Planks
Why buy Tegu Toys?
- Tegu provides for tree planting, child education, and holistic employment in Honduras
- Brilliantly-simple and premium heirloom-quality toy that will last for generations
- Curiously attractive and perfect for those seeking toys supporting open-ended and unscripted play
- Naturally safe: no lead, no plastic, non-toxic, water-based lacquer finish, no small parts
- Sustainably sourced, FSC-certified Honduran hardwoods
- Nikitin Brain Games and Puzzles
- Great Toys from Playhao
- 10 Cool Thinking Games and Brain Toys
- 15 Top Toys for the Toy Box to Keep the Kids Busy
- Engineering Toys for Budding Engineers
- Melissa and Doug Educational Toys and Games
- Apps for Developing Problem Solving Skills
- Apps for Developing Logical Deduction, Creative Thinking and Problem Solving Skills
- Apps for Teaching Physics, Creative Thinking and Problem Solving
- Thinking Games to Challenge the Mind