The Standard Deviants was created by two college graduates with a golden idea to record full academic courses on video and make them funny. Over the years, they have sold millions of educational videos worldwide and won troves of awards. The clever name is a play on words based on the mathematical term “standard deviance” or “standard deviation,” meaning the variation from the average. After all, who wants to be average anyway?!
The Standard Deviants educational curriculum is available for online learning. They cover middle and high school core subjects:
- Earth Science
- Fundamental Math
- English Composition
- US History
- AP Biology
- AP Chemistry
- AP English Composition
“I use SDA as a reinforcement tool. I use SDA all throughout the lesson, but mainly as reinforcement. The lesson will be taught and students will take notes, but then they will be hit with the information again once they log onto the website. I think SDA could be used for both advanced and foundational students. The students more actively engage with the computer than they do with traditional classroom techniques- it’s the 21st century!”
– Whitney, Hartford Public Schools
“I think it’s a great supplemental course. There’s just enough variety to keep it interesting for [my son]. And it doesn’t add any more to my workload. Most importantly, he wants to [use it], and having a lesson that my son is willing to work on without any complaints is more than enough reason for me!”
–Adena Foster, Adena F.
Standard Deviants is not intended to be full curriculum, but it makes a great supplement! Since it’s online and self-paced, my tester could pick and choose what topics he wanted or needed to spend more time on. A general course outline makes it easy to see what topics are available.”
–Renita Bentz, Mom of Many Bentzs
The Standard Deviants Online program is available for a free 7 day trial, or you can purchase the programs at:
- $9.99/month per subject
- $738.40 one-time payment and get all 14 subjects for life-time membership
The Standard Deviants have become experts at the craft of teaching students core curriculum subjects condensed into a few hours of instructional videos that are engaging, entertaining, and hilarious. Whether it’s English Composition, U.S. History, or Organic Chemistry you’re looking for, Standard Deviants has it! These are just a few examples from the hundreds of videos Standard Deviants has produced over the last 20 years. Here are a few of those titles…
- Grammar for All – the parts of speech, common nouns and pronouns, verb tenses, conjugations, and compound sentences.
- English Grammar 2 – the trickier rules of grammar, including how language changes, proper agreement, independent clauses, articles and split infinitives.
- English Punctuation 1
- English Punctuation 2
- Writing Basics (English Composition) – teaches you everything from how to state and support a position, to collecting supporting information and writing a thesis statement.
- Nouns, Pronouns & Adjectives
- All About the Verb
- Adverbs, Propositions & Conjunctions
- Examining the Sentence
- Agreeing with Grammar
- Grammar Follies
This fact-filled series is guaranteed to give an in-depth look at the muscular system, skeletal system, circulatory system, reproductive system, central nervous system, and the supporting organs. The DVD Super Pack contains Modules 1 through 8.
- Bones: Anatomical position, axial skeleton, cranium, vertebral column, curvature abnormalities, bony thorax, pelvic girdle, upper & lower limbs.
- Muscles: Cardiac muscle, smooth muscle, skeletal muscle, direction of fibers, origin & insertion, flexors & extensors, muscles of the arm, muscles of the leg, joints, sprains, arthritis.
- The Nervous System: Central nervous system, peripheral nervous system, neurons, supporting cells, cerebrum, cerebral cortex, thalamus, epithalamus, hypothalamus, brain stem, cerebellum, somatic vs. autonomic nervous system.
- Eyes & Ears: Auricle, auditory canal, tympanic membrane, ossicles, eustachian tubes, fibrous tunic, sclera, cornea, vascular tunic, pupil, retina, rods & cones, lens.
- The Circulatory System: Cardiovascular system; arteries, veins & capillaries; plasma; erythrocytes; thrombocytes; leukocytes; pericardium; epicardium; myocardium; endocardium; atria; ventricles; aorta; valves; disorders & diseases.
- The Lymphatic & Respiratory System: Lymph, interstitial fluid, mucosa, associated lymphatic tissue, spleen, thymus gland, tonsils, pulmonary respiration, internal & external respiration, respiratory gas transport, trachea, bronchial tree, bronchioles, alveoli.
- The Digestive and Urinary Systems
- The Endocrine and Reproductive Systems
Some Math Titles
- Basic Math Super Pack – Integers & Addition, Subtracting Integers, Multiplying Integers, Dividing Integers, Integer Grab Bag, Working with Decimals, Fraction Basics, Adding & Subtracting Fractions, Multiplying & Dividing Fractions, Ratios & Percentages.
- Algebra Super Pack – The Basics, Functions, Linear Equations, Quadratic Equations, Quadratic Roots, The Quadratic Formula, Polynomials.
- Geometry Super Pack – Geometry Basics, Angles 101, Triangles, Special Triangles, The Pythagorean Theorem, Figuring Out Area.
- Pre-Calculus Part 1
- Pre-Calculus Part 2
- Trigonometry Super Pack (6 DVDs)
- Differential Equations
- Chemistry Super Pack – Inside the Atom, Chemical Bonds, Molecular Geometry, Gases, Percent Composition, Solutions and Dilutions, Heat, The Basics, Elements and Equations.
- Physics Super Pack – The Basics, Vectors & Velocity, Kinematics, Circular Motion & Momentum, The Three Laws of Motion, Work & Energy, Planetary Motion & Harmonic Motion, Heat, Thermodynamics.
- Human Nutrition Super Pack – Introduction to Nutrition, The Digestive System, Carbohydrates, Fats, Protein, Vitamins, Minerals, Water, Energy Balance, Weight Control & Metabolism, Nutrition and Disease Prevention.