Working memory is an important executive function that helps children learn and do well at school. It is three times more accurate in predicting literacy skills and four times more accurate in predicting math skills compared to IQ. When children have poor working memory skills, they struggle. They have a hard time following instructions and often seem like they are day-dreaming and not paying attention.
Working Memory Capacity
Torkel Klingberg on working memory capacity:
- Working memory helps you keep in mind relevant information when you solve problems, e.g. mathematical problems
- It helps you remember what to focus on.
- Working memory capacity is limited. Most of us only remember up to seven items, give or take a few.
- Children with low working memory capacity have trouble remember instructions; they struggle in maths and reading comprehension.
- The brain is plastic and we can change it with practice.
- Cogmed working memory training program is recommended for 45 minutes, 5 times a week, for 5 weeks. It improves working memory capacity by 15-20%.
- When children go through the training, they can remember longer instructions and improve in their attentiveness.
- More than 50000 children have benefited from working memory training in more than 20 countries.
- What kids are saying:
- “Now I can remember what the teacher says.”
- “Before I couldn’t find my stuff. I could be looking for two days! Now I can find them at once!”
- “I can sit and shut out the noise from around. When I read, I can focus, before I couldn’t do that.”
Cogmed Working Memory Training is an evidence-based intervention for improved attention. Based on the concept of neuroplasticity and with more published research behind it than any other cognitive training program, Cogmed is trusted by healthcare professionals and educators around the world. Among the thousands who have already completed Cogmed, 8 out of 10 show noticeable improvements in concentration. Independent research has repeatedly shown improvements in working memory, attention and academic performance. Now, the Cogmed Working Memory Training platform is available on the iPad®. While the app is free, a full Cogmed Training is provided and administered by a healthcare professional and normally associated with a fee.
- Computer based solution for increasing working memory capacity.
- It combines neuroscience with innovative computer game and professional support.
- 3 online applications:
- JM – preschool children
- RM – school-aged children
- QM – adolescents and adults
- Each program has 25 sessions that last from 30 to 45 minutes each (15 to 20 minutes for Cogmed JM). The exercises need to be done 5 days a week for 5 weeks.
- Complexity level of the exercises are adjusted as the children progress through them.
- Cogmed comes with coach training.
Other Brain Training Programs:
- MyBrainlab – Faster, Smater, Better
- Jungle Memory – working memory training for children
- Programs for Children with Cognitive Impairment and Learning Disabilities
- Working memory helps children do well at school
- The key to brilliance – working memory
- 7 ways to improve working memory
- More brain training exercises for developing working memory