It’s G2’s turn to learn about biomes at school and what did he choose to dress up as? A Grassland animal! He couldn’t make my life easy by choosing a scorpion from the savanna so we could recycle G1’s old scorpion costume? So I decided that a lion costume is probably about the easiest one I can get away with.
When G2 first brought the news home, he said he could dress up as a sea animal. Taking a leaf out of the Bad Moms movie, I dug out his old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle costume and said he could be a turtle. I was just patting myself on the back for an easy win when I found the slip of paper in his school bag saying he had chosen the Grassland habitat. As Murphy would have it, I found the slip of paper the day before the dress up day. Of course…
So this is my eleventh-hour DIY lion costume:
Instructions for Easy DIY Lion Costume
The base is just a brown t-shirt and shorts/pants. Khaki would be ideal but any shade of brown will suffice. I didn’t have time to go look for khaki clothes, so we used a brown t-shirt and black shorts.
Lion Costume Mane
What you will need:
- 3 strips of brown felt (preferably different shades) long enough to wrap around your child’s head when worn like a scarf.
- 1 piece of khaki coloured felt for the lion ears
- a pair of scissors.
- sewing machine or needle and thread (if you prefer to hand sew).
- Cut along the dotted line for each of the three strips of felt
- Sew the three strips of felt together along the top as shown below:
- Add velcro tabs so the mane can be fastened around your child’s face.
- Turn the mane over and mark the placement for the ears (shown in red):
- Cut four circles of khaki felt for the lion ears and stitch two pieces together as shown below, leaving a small gap so you can turn it inside-out. Repeat with the other two circles.
- Sew the ears onto the lion’s mane and you should get something like this:
Lion Costume Tail
What you will need:
- elastic tape – the kind you use for garter pants
- a piece of khaki coloured felt
- a piece of brown coloured felt
- Measure out a length of elastic tape to fit around your child’s waist with a bit of stretch. Knot it into a loop.
- Cut a length of khaki coloured felt and stitch it along the length as shown below.
- Attach the khaki coloured felt to the elastic tape at one end.
- Take a short strip of the brown felt and cut tassels. Wrap it around the other end of the khaki coloured felt and sew it down.
Your end result should look something like this (perhaps a bit neater since I have a tendency to work messy):
Put everything together and you’ll have the easiest lion costume ever.
- Frodo Baggins Dressup
- Harry Potter Dressup
- Ranger’s Apprentice Dressup
- Luke Skywalker Dressup
- Ninjago Costume
- Seth Mask