When it comes to reading, more is always better, and if you follow Jim Trelease’s “read aloud” philosophy, children will eventually learn to read by following along. As parents, we can help by providing our children with lots of opportunities to be exposed to books, like trips to the library.
While it is great for children to have an adult read to them, we can significantly increase their reading exposure by adding “read along” audio books into the mix – especially for those times when we aren’t able to read to them. For example, these may be audio recordings we play in the car, or they may be read along storybook apps for the iPad or Android that children can access on their own. Take this to the next level and what you’re really looking for is an online library for the kids…
…like Get EPIC! It’s got many popular books that children love to read, such as:
- Fancy Nancy
- Flat Stanley
- The Berenstain Bears
- Goodnight Moon
- Charlie Brown
- The Chronicles of Narnia
- Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus
- A Series of Unfortunate Events
- National Geographic Kids
- Scaredy Squirrel
- Big Nate
- Pete the Cat
AND it has a “read-to-me” audio feature!
Epic! is the leading all-you-can-read eBook library for kids 12 and under offering unlimited access to over 10,000 high-quality children’s books, now including thousands of read-to-me and Audio books.
Epic is available on:
There are 2 versions of Epic!, both accessible through the one app:
- EPIC! FOR THE HOME – Epic! costs only $4.99/month with the first month FREE and supports up to 4 individual child profiles per account. No commitments or hassles. You can easily cancel at any time.
- EPIC! FOR EDUCATORS – Epic! is currently free to elementary school teachers and school librarians in the US and Canada. Epic! brings access to unlimited children’s literature into every classroom. The diverse and wide-ranging library of eBooks and audio content can be used as a general resource or as part of the curriculum. Epic! encourages young readers with badges and rewards, while letting teachers assign books and track individual reading progress.
THE EPIC! LIBRARY
Epic!’s award-winning service includes a wide variety of fiction and non-fiction books from leading publishers such as Scholastic, National Geographic, HarperCollins, Macmillan and many more. With over 10,000 books available now and many more titles added each week, Epic! has been called the “Netflix of kids’ books” – it’s an unlimited library your kids can take anywhere!
The Epic! library contains everything from picture books to chapter books, early readers, audiobooks, “read to me” audio books, comic books, graphic novels, non-fiction titles, educational books, and junior novels.
THE EPIC! CHALLENGE
Epic! offers challenges, such as the monthly reading challenge to encourage children to read more books:
Read 5 or more books before the end of October and receive a Reading Challenge Certificate you can share with your parents and teacher!
WHAT THE EXPERTS ARE SAYING
“Epic! offers a brilliant way to harness the enthusiasm of young readers with lots and lots of great books and reaches kids exactly when their enthusiasm for reading starts to spark.” – Kate Klimo (former Publisher, Random House Young Readers Group)
“We know that children tend to read more if they can choose their own books. We’re proud to offer our titles on Epic! which provides an innovative mobile reading experience for kids and fosters a love of reading in a whole new way.” – Chantal Restivo-Alessi (Chief Digital Officer, HarperCollins Publishers)
“Epic! is the first app to get eBooks for young people right. I love how easy it is to discover new stories to share with my kids.” – Emily Scheinman (Founder/CEO, Bananaseed children’s book fairs)
PRESS AND REVIEWS
“Epic strikes the perfect balance between educational and fun, and should allow parents to feel more confident about introducing the iPad into their children’s daily lives as a tool, rather than as a guilty pleasure or time-wasting treat.” – TechCrunch
“If your kid is an avid reader—as in, he finishes his library books before he even gets them home from school—you may want to check out the “Epic!” app, a new eBook subscription for kids in one handy app that that offers all-you-can-read selections for a low monthly fee. No purchasing book after book. And no overdue fees from the library.” – Cool Mom Tech
- Over 10,000 great titles with many more added weekly
- Audiobooks and “read-to-me” books
- Individual customized child profiles at no additional cost
- Personalized book recommendations for each child
- Online and offline reading (take Epic! in the car, on a plane, or camping)
- A detailed reading log to track reading progress available in the app, and emailed weekly to parents
- Access your Epic! account and Epic!’s full library on iOS, Android and Kindle devices, and desktops and laptops (via any Web browser)
- Teach Your Child How to Read
- The Value of Reading Out Loud
- My Story World – Read Along Stories
- Pop-Up Story Books from Story Toys
- Reading Rainbow
- Read Along Story Book Apps