This post is now available on the Right Brain Child:
Right Brain Education can be practiced at home on your own (if you don’t have access to a right brain education school) or as a supplement to your child’s regular lessons. For guidance, refer back to the Right Brain Education Home Practice Manual as it provides the recommended outline for you to follow in your home sessions.
In this article and the ones to follow, we will be looking in greater depth at each of the activities suggested for Right Brain Education Home Practice.
Getting Started – Relationships First
In the previous newsletters, we have been stressing a lot about the importance of the relationship with your child when it comes to Right Brain Education. This is because your connection with your child is crucial to the success of your home practice. So before you begin home practice, always take some time to reconnect with your child. Even if you have to skip any of the other elements from the home practice guide, don’t skip this one…
Right Brain Home Practice – Preparing Your Child
- Hug and Praise your child
- Relaxation Exercise
- Breathing Exercise
Begin with your child on your lap and the 8 Second Hug. Talk to your child and acknowledge the behaviours you have observed that you have been proud of. For instance, allowing his brother to have a go with a toy first, helping you wipe up a mess, getting ready for school quickly, etc. You can also use this time to use Shichida’s 5 Daily Words of Praise (click the link to read more about it).
Move on to the relaxation exercise. Shichida recommends using energy balls (click the link to read more about it). You can also do some simple movement or stretching exercises.
End with some breathing exercises. Teach your child to breathe deeply – inhale and exhale slowly counting to 5.
In between Right Brain Practice, make sure you’re constantly filling your child’s love tank. Read the following article for more:
Are you pregnant or planning another child? You might be interested to know that you can begin Right Brain Education with your child during your pregnancy. What can you expect to achieve with Prenatal Right Brain Education? Read about the benefits in the following article:
What can you do if you can’t attend a Prenatal Education Course? Pamela Hickein and Wennie Sun from Right Brain Kids have a terrific series of Prenatal Meditation videos you can follow. Click the following link to watch them:
Right Brain Kids also shares 5 important insights to prenatal communication that you should read about:
Even if you’ve missed the boat for Prenatal Right Brain Education, it is never too late to begin Right Brain Education with your child. According to Ruiko Henmi (Heguru founder), even adults can develop their brain potential.
If you have heard about Right Brain Education, chances are, the name you will be most familiar with is Makoto Shichida – one of the pioneers in this field. However, there is another lady that you should know about – Heguru founder, Ruiko Henmi. She has had many years of first hand experience helping children to develop their right brain potential.
Who is Ruiko Henmi?
She is the Principle of Henmi Educational General Laboratory (HEGL). She is a popular teacher who has been featured in a number of Japanese TV programs. She is responsible for helping to develop various right brain educational programs at Tachikawa campus. Her bold and meticulous training system has benefitted thousands of students in the HEGL school program.
10 Rules for Developing the Right Brain
According to Ruiko Henmi, there are the 10 rules for developing the right brain:
- Believe – one can only produce up to the capacity of belief. Parents have to believe in their children’s capability.
- Attend lessons in order to follow the right brain program. Listen, observe and learn.
- Read story books to your kids – reading is one of the methods for bringing out your child’s genius.
- Stay beside the student whose right brain has developed – this is the theory of talent formation.
- Do fun and exciting things together thoroughly – your children must be happy in order to open their right brain.
- Develop the right brain gently – left brain is required to strengthen the right brain.
- Develop self-esteem – do not rebuke your children because of “lack of ability”, but rebuke them for their misbehaviour.
- It requires patience, perseverance, and worry – this state of mind is required for growth because children need to learn to overcome some difficulties in life. It is difficult to develop the right brain if your children are spoilt.
- Help children fully absorb the positive comments from parents, teachers, and their surroundings. They will be able to overcome any obstacle.
- Develop the heart – right brain is strongly affected by the heart.
8 Tips for Bringing Out the Best in Your Child
Right Brain Education is more than simple a series of exercises that you do with your child. It is first and foremost about relationships, love, and emotional well-being of your child which will lead to the unlocking of a massive hidden potential. Without building this foundation, right brain education activities alone will not achieve the phenomenal results of true right brain education. An easy way to put it would be to quote the Right Brain Kids motto: “hug, play, learn”.
In Heguru, Ruiko Henmi shares 8 tips with parents to help you bring out the best in your child:
- Raise a child by developing his strengths.
- Raise a child based on his individuality, not by comparison to other children.
- Do not be caught in the dilemma of T-score education and academic snobbery in education.
- Nurture your children by adding points instead of deducting points.
- Nurture your children by observing the “Kindness” within them rather than disguised behaviourism.
- Bring up a child by understanding the various growth processes.
- The impressions and expectations parents and teachers have on their children will influence their results and performances.
- Respect and recognise the existence of your child.
5 Methods to Bring Out the Potential Ability of Your Child
In Heguru Right Brain Education, parents are also taught the methods for bringing out the potential ability in their children. According to Ruiko Henmi (Heguru founder) there are 5 methods to achieve this:
- Enlarge the container (capacity) of the brain.
- Discover the methods and develop the inborn abilities of children.
- Build the confidence in children and develop their potential abilities.
- Develop your child’s emotional intelligence (EQ).
- Develop their true thinking ability.
There was a time when Shichida home practice training materials were almost impossible to find outside of a Shichida Center… These days, shopping for right brain education materials is a little easier. Now you can also get Shichida Home Practice Kits.